All children in Delaware are entitled to a free and appropriate public education. In order to be eligible for special education, a child must have a disability and must need special education services and related services. A child may be referred for special education services through the public school, a private school or a parent/ guardian. Evaluations and special education services are provided by individual public school districts. Each school district has a special education coordinator (title may differ) who can assist you. Other community agencies provide assistance in navigating the education system and help you learn about programs, laws and advocacy.

This section will help you identify the first steps in finding the supports and services you and your family may need.